donderdag 29 november 2007

All is well that ends well

Today, I feel a little bit better about the USB-thing. After a whole day of trying to recover the things that were on my USB-stick, nearly everything that needed to be recovered is back again. And to top it all, the portable apps are working!

I found this website called PortableApps.com. They provide you with a basic start menu like interface, and a lot of apps that are made specifically to be run from portable devices like a USB-stick. If you're a lot on the road and don't have administrator rights on every pc you use, you might want to check this out.

So far I've installed a synch app, audacity, firefox, thunderbird, GIMP and soulseek. Takes up less than 100Mb, and I'm good to go. I didn't get to test much of it today, but tomorrow I'm planning to spend a lot of time in my thesis local, so I'll be able to give it a thorough testing. I was only looking for a portable synch app, so I could easily manage my thesis data, but then I couldn't resist the temptation of taking my mail and internet configuration everywhere with me.

Geen opmerkingen: